Once upon a time, I was a young girl who had no choice but to hit the streets with my mom (Nina) on Saturday mornings. Now when I say hit the streets I mean heading to the grocery store, mall, furniture store, Lowes home improvement and my favorite fabric store.
I was always excited to go out with my mom. But there were two things I hated with a passion...the THRIFT STORE and big sales at stores. I always asked to stay in the car. It was old secondhand items or you had to deal with the crazy crowds (thank God for the internet). Who's interested in that?
However, my mom would get her life! She would always come out with something fly.
Now what my mom didn't know is I was paying close attention and admired everything she did. She is in fact, the inspiration behind Nina Savage!
Here's how you can look like you're fresh off the runway (#SAVAGELIFE) without breaking the bank!
- Make sure the item is able to be cleaned or not too damaged
- Size doesn't matter, you can tailor it
- Change the hardware
- Get creative (look beyond the item hanging on the rack)
- 50% or more of the regular price
- 50% or more off sale/clearance price
- Try on the item (don't be afraid to go a size larger if they don't have your size)
- Check the price at other stores
- Again tailor, tailor, tailor!
Here's the thing. Most department stores will begin putting items on sale within 3-4 weeks. Clearance is the final step.
Now if this is a hot item or statement piece chances are it won't go on sale. In that case, I normally purchase the item full price, especially if I consider it a timeless piece!
Stay tuned for more tips, pics and videos of my thrifting and budget finds.